Arnold van Praag
Arnold van Praag, born in 1926, trained at the Slade between 1953 and 1957, his first solo exhibition (in 1965) selling out before it opened. Despite the auspiciousness of this early success, van Praag chose to earn his living as a teacher rather than as an artist. He initially became a Lecturer in Painting at Hertfordshire College of Art and Design, then subsequently the Head of Painting. In 1975, he became Visiting Tutor in painting at Camberwell School of Arts, a post he held until 1991, when he retired to work full time in his studio in Cambridge. His paintings and drawings expressed the vibrancy and colour of everyday life and his painterly approach was reminiscent of German Expressionism. His subjects ranged from the Biblical to the quotidian, but all are treated with passion, strong brushstrokes, and a rich palette.
The Arnold van Praag estate is represented by The Redfern Gallery.