The gallery will be closed from 20 December 2013 to 6 January 2014 for the Christmas period
The Redfern Gallery is one of Londonís longest established commercial galleries. Founded in 1923 as an artistsí co-operative, the gallery soon evolved to become a leading innovator in the field of modern and contemporary art, forging connections with a broad spectrum of contemporary artists Ė all of whom represented the very best of the avant garde. One of the inaugural Redfern exhibitions in 1924 included drawings and carvings by Henry Moore and Barbara Hepworth. In 1929 the Redfern held the first exhibition of British colour linocuts of the Grosvenor School and continued to represent Cyril Power and Sybil Andrews during both of their lifetimes.
The move to 20 Cork Street took place in 1936. Amongst the series of ground-breaking exhibitions to follow included one-man shows for Delvaux, Sutherland, Christopher Wood, Ben Nicholson, Jawlensky, Patrick Procktor, Paul Feiler and Bryan Organ.
In the 21st Century (and with the fourth generation of gallery directors) the Redfern continues its activities in very much the same spirit in which it was founded. Now representing over thirty artists and estates it covers an eclectic mix of Modern and Contemporary art - both British and international.